Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Ceremonial Start 3-3-07



We got up early and headed downtown to find a parking place and a good spot along the street to watch the Ceremonial Start. During the night, truckload after truckload of snow was dumped on Anchorage city streets to make a chute for the dogteams to sled upon. Local TV camera crews were setting up near the starting line. I wanted my picture taken under the Iditarod start banner. However, I had to wait, because there was a big group of teachers from Seattle posing for their pictures - at 7 AM. It was a few degrees above 0F. We walked along the street in back of the starting line and took a picture of one of the 82 dog trucks with sled on top. The dogs were all getting fed. You can see some of the Chugach Mountains in the background. It was so cold, but I had my sister's parka on, and there was NO WIND! What a blessing to have a break from the wind for the mushers, volunteers, and spectators.

No comments: