Monday, March 5, 2007

Mushers' Banquet 3-1-07

Almost two thousand people attended the sold-out Iditarod Mushers' Banquet in Sullivan Arena in downtown Anchorage. 83 mushers were there to choose their bib numbers, make speeches, and thank family members, friends and sponsors. I tried to get autographs, but there were just too many people crowded in lines for each musher. I got one autograph - Aliy Zirkle! It was great to see the mushers looking polished, combed, and full of energy to get the race started. In a few days they will look wind-burnt and wind-blown. Smiles will turn into grim determination with talk of strategies and obstacles. Hobo Jim (in white hat) gave a rousing concert to get the crowd revved up. Of course, he sang his I did the Iditarod song! I came to the conclusion that the banquet crowd consisted of 1/3 mushers, families, and supporters, 1/3 retirees from all over the country, and 1/3 teachers! I have met teachers from nearly every state and Canada!


No comments: