Sunday, March 18, 2007

Fairbanks Loves Art & I Love Gift Shops







During our stay in Fairbanks, Alaska, we were surprised to learn that the contruction budget for any new building must include 10% for artwork! What a great town for seeing (and buying) work of local and Alaska artists. I admired this Alaska family sculpture that is featured in a park right on the Chena River. Here also is a picture of the Chena River frozen solid, but obviously well-traveled, in any case. This is the spot where Lance Mackey won the Yukon Quest, just two weeks before starting the Iditarod.

I promised that I would include a picture of my two nephews, Jacob and Matthew, who were such good sports, waiting in one gift/art shop after another while their mother and their Aunt Chris (me) checked out all the goodies. I found some beautiful earrings with pieces of natural nugget gold worked into the design.

No comments: